Site Audits Evaluate How Well Your Site is Performing
Your business’s website is an integral part of your online presence. After all, it acts as your business’s digital storefront. It is how consumers see, interact with, and complete purchases with your business on a digital scale. Many brands no longer have physical brick-and-mortar stores anymore, so their website is all they have.
With that said, just because you have a site does not mean your work is over. You have to ensure that it functions correctly and offers a quality user experience. Not only that, but you want your site to rank on search engines, which takes plenty of work on its own. Your website is the digital face of your brand. It should leave a lasting impression.
With a site audit, you can evaluate the overall performance of your website, measuring a host of factors (load speed, search engine friendliness, user experience, etc.). A site audit is helpful when it comes to gauging how well your site ranks up to competitors online. It allows you to make improvements where they are needed.
Your business website is vital to your overall success online. If your site is not well managed or kept up, your business will likely suffer because of this. Tech Critic understands the importance of having a quality website and understands how useful a site audit can be in bolstering your website. If you feel like your online presence could use some improvements, give Tech Critic a call and let us help.
What is a Site Audit?
Once you’ve finally perfected your website’s design and hammered in its functions, you might think you are ready to start marketing and generating leads for your brand. However, there is one vital step you are missing: a site audit.
For your business to succeed online, you need to optimize your website for search engines. All search engines (Google, Bing, etc.) utilize complex algorithms that rely on specific criteria. Your website must follow these criteria to rank higher on search engine result pages (SERP).
How do you test your website to see how it performs online? With a site audit!
In simplest terms, a site audit is a thorough evaluation of your website. This audit will give you a clear idea of whether or not your website appears on SERPs. However, a site audit can also help you identify other areas that need improvement. They allow you to make changes to your site to create a website that is easy to use and navigate.
Why Do You Need One?
You might be wondering why you need a site audit. After all, you already optimized your website and made sure all of its functions operate correctly. You’ve made all the necessary moves to ensure your on-page SEO is good to go. So why do you need to audit your site?
- Stay Up to Date with Search Engines: It seems that virtually every year, search engines make changes to what matters when it comes to SEO. Before, all you needed to do was plug keywords in your title, headers, and content. Now, there are literally hundreds of ranking factors. As these factors change, so too must your website, which is why a site audit is vital.
- Maintain Your Site: While you fully optimized your site when you first made it, the chances are that site does not exist anymore (at least in some form). You have likely added new content and updated older pages. Regularly auditing your site allows you to identify and remove any errors or bugs on your site, making sure it remains optimized.
- Discover New SEO Opportunities: Just because your site operates well does not mean there isn’t room for improvement. Auditing your website might uncover new SEO opportunities to help you rank better. It may also help you discover under-performing areas on your site and updates to improve user experience.
- Boost Conversions: One of the goals of your website should be to increase conversions. A site audit will help you realize how well your website does that. You can identify areas that may generate more leads and, therefore, more sales. You might discover the practices you have been using aren’t effective. Figuring these out will help you boost your conversions.
What Do Audits Test?
A site audit will test for various factors. It will tell you what’s working on your site, what isn’t, and what you can do to improve. There are numerous elements that a site audit will review, such as:
- Site Health: Assesses the structure and usability of your website, reviewing onsite SEO, page speed, links (internal, external, and broken links), meta descriptions, mobile-friendliness, and load time.
- Site Security: Security is not just important to you but to your consumers, as well. An audit will identify any breaches in security and prevents sensitive information from being compromised.
- Conversion Rate Optimization: An audit will help you understand how users interact with your site, including how long they visit, what actions they complete (filling out a form, making a purchase, signing up for emails, etc.), and what keeps them from converting.
- Content: An audit will also analyze how well your content is performing. The content on each page (along with SEO issues like broken links or duplicate text) affects how much traffic goes to your site. A content audit will ensure page content is SEO optimized and has no issues that would limit your site traffic.
- Penalties: Auditing your site will also uncover any penalties that may be stopping your page from ranking higher. It may also present solutions for site recovery to help you bounce back.
Additionally, you can also audit competitor websites to see what they are doing right and what they are doing wrong to stay ahead in your industry. By auditing competitor websites, you can discover new insights to implement into your marketing strategy.
Conducting a Site Audit
While site audits are a major undertaking, involving a thorough analysis of your website in its entirety, it is not hard to find a way to do one. Often, you can always use one of the many SEO audit tools found online.
These tools will crawl your site, analyzing content, structure, and usability. They will also uncover any issues, such as broken links, poor load speeds, and more. Some tools review over a hundred factors that impact your site’s performance.
However, if you do not feel confident running these audits on your own, we are here to help. Tech Critic can run a site audit for you to not only improve the performance of your site but also help you develop better practices to improve the visibility of your website. Contact us today to learn more.