One of the most fundamental building blocks of a smart SEO strategy is how well your domain name and URLs are structured. For many who are just diving into the world of content marketing and SEO, this may seem overwhelming. Thankfully, it’s not as complicated as it sounds. Your URL and domain name are the things that lead people to your website, which is why it is important that they are created strategically. The first rule of thumb? Keep it simple. You want something that people will remember and relate to your product or service, so it is important to not try and overcomplicate things. Similarly, your URL and domain name should be SEO-friendly, but more on that later. In order to ensure people can, for one, find your website, and two, remember it, there are a few tips you should keep in mind.
Before we dive into them, we think it is important to point out that since this is one of the most important steps in building your customer base and online presence, it is recommended that you turn to a professional for help. SEO and content marketing trends are constantly changing, which is where we come in. As a local Dallas SEO company, we have made it our job to stay current with what works and what doesn’t in regards to SEO, social media, digital marketing, URL structuring, and more.
Okay, let’s take a look at a few tips for how to structure a site’s URL, from an SEO-friendly point of view:
- Don’t Beat Around the Bush. We cannot stress how important it is to be straightforward when it comes to your site’s domain name and URL. URLs should never be confusing or witty, as the cleverness will surely be lost on someone. It is all about helping people find you and your website, so do your best to be as clear as possible.
- Create an Easy to Read URL. Similar to the first point, your URL should be easy to read. The easier it is for humans to read your URL, the easier it will be for search engines. Since the overall point is to boost your search engine rankings, following this tip is critical.
- Don’t be Afraid to Use Keywords. While your URL and domain name certainly shouldn’t be stuffed with keywords, it is extremely beneficial to use them strategically in the URL. This will inform the user of what your website is about and that they are getting what they are looking for.
- Match URLs and Titles. This is important in regards to the subpages of your website. By making a point to match the page title to the URL, you will be giving people a clearer idea of what is on that specific page.
- Use a Single Domain and Subdomain Whenever Possible. Your website is far more likely to perform well in search engine rankings if it is all under one sub and main domain name. If this is confusing to you, be sure and ask your local Dallas SEO company for guidance.
- Make Sure Your URL is Pretty. By this we mean to avoid using dynamic URLs with lots of punctuation and numbers in them. It is better to use static URLs that contain your keywords and are more user-friendly than ones with random numbers and symbols in them, as people will be far likely to find you in a simple search.
URLs and domain names are critical to where your website lands in search engine rankings such as Google, which is why it is imperative you understand how to structure them properly. To learn more about this topic, please contact our Dallas digital marketing and SEO agency today.