Whether you are a small business owner or run a larger corporation, you must know who your target audience is. In fact, your success will largely depend on your ability to find and retain a strong customer base. This is especially true in today’s tech-savvy world. Over the last few years, the tactics used to market to new customers have changed in a major way. Taking the time to find your target audience and understand who your customers are takes research, but it is more than worth it in the end. Trends come and go, but the need to appeal to your audience remains the same.
One of the first steps when trying to identify your target market is to look at specific generations: Baby Boomers, Gen Xers, Millennials, and Gen Z are the main generations you should look at right now. Customers of these generations will likely have different attitudes, habits, and preferences, which can impact your marketing efforts and the products you carry. Today we are seeing many “macro trends”, which are often shared across these generations. Thanks in large part to the internet and social media, these trends manifest in different ways and can slip by you if you aren’t careful. Paying attention to these smaller trends and how customers across different generations respond to them is one of the first things you should do when trying to figure out how to attract new customers and appeal to your target audience.
Who Is My Target Audience?
Before you spend a bunch of money on marketing and content creation, be sure you are working with a digital marketing agency who will do the necessary research to determine who your target audience is. Here at Tech-Critic, we have been at the forefront of trends and changes in the field of marketing, and we understand what needs to be done in order to help our customers grow their brand. While finding your target audience may be easier said than done, we are certainly up for the challenge. Take a moment to understand who your customers are and conduct a bit of research in order to make sure you are on the same page.
Let’s now look at some of the top ways you can appeal to your target audience (you’ve figured out who it is!):
- Ask Questions – The more questions you ask, the better. Knowledge is power, after all, so it is imperative you take the time to get to know your target demographic. Consider what type of person is most likely to engage with your brand and put yourself in their shoes. Remember, honesty is the best policy here and it is important to be specific. Beating around the bush will get you nowhere!
- Define Your Perfect Customer – Once you’ve done the research and asked all the questions, consider who your ideal customer is. By taking the time to outline your ‘perfect’ customer, you will be better prepared to attract them and get their business. Some factors to consider include:
- What social media outlets do they use?
- What types of content do they consume?
- What are some of the issues they face on a day-to-day basis?
Your answers to these questions will depend on what type of business you are running and your
- Use Social Media – If you want to appeal to your target audience, use social media to your advantage. This is the best place to understand what your audience is buzzing about and what will get them excited. Take a look at trending topics and the types of content that are getting the most likes and shares. This will give you insight as to what they are responding to, which will help you customize your own marketing plan.
Running a business or brand in today’s landscape is no easy feat, it takes time and dedication. By learning not only who your target audience is, but how to appeal to them, you will have one leg above the rest of the competition. To learn more about how Tech-Critic can help with your digital marketing efforts, please contact our Dallas marketing agency today.